PayPal is a great payment option to give your donors who prefer to use their PayPal accounts to make donations on forms and Peer to Peer. In order for PayPal to be an option on your donor facing tools, there are a few steps you will need to take.
The first step to gain the ability to use PayPal on your forms is to provide CharityEngine the credentials needed to configure PayPal as a payment gateway. Until a member of support or professional services has configured PayPal in your account, you will not be able to add PayPal to your forms and Peer to Peer.
In order to configure PayPal we need four pieces of information: email address of the PayPal account holder, Username, Password, and Signature. The last three items can be found in your PayPal Express Account under API Credentials. If you are unsure about how to find your API credentials, read this documentation provided by PayPal.
Once you have obtained this information, you will need to securely share this information with CharityEngine so PayPal can be configured.
One way to securely send over your PayPal information to your implementation Consultant is by uploading a file in your CharityEngine Instance.
To upload a Word file with your credentials, Navigate to Contacts App > Files > Go > Create new
After your PayPal Gateway has been configured by a CharityEngine User, you will be able to enable PayPal as a payment processor on your forms. To enable PayPal on your form, navigate to the Layout Tab on your form and click the pencil icon on the Payment Section to manage the section. Toggle Include PayPal to Yes in add it to your form. If you want to allow donors to create sustainer accounts with PayPal, make sure you also toggle Enable PayPal Recurring to Yes.
If you have multiple PayPal Accounts, you will need to select which account to use for payment processing on the web from. Navigate to the web from > Advanced > General > Payment and use the dropdown to select which PayPal account to use.
Q: Do donors have to have a PayPal account to donate through PayPal?
A: Our integration does allow donors to "Continue as Guest", however this setting does need to be configured in your PayPal account. To do this, follow the below listed steps:
1) Login to your PayPal account
2) Click the button on the upper-right corner and select the "Account Settings" item
3) Click the "Website payments" item on the left menu
4) Click the "Update" button on the right of the "Website preferences" item
5) Then you will enter the setting page, please set the "On" option for the "PayPal account optional" option, the page will be automatically saved. You may need to wait for a while for the setting to take effective, then the customers should be able to see the "Guest Checkout" option when they are paying your website.